Monday 23 April 2007

Horror Movie: I Am Legend starring Will Smith?

I was devastated to learn that Will Smith is going to star in the film version of I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

Will Smith is a fantastic action star and I am sure he will have the pull factor to bring in the crowds and make this film a block-buster. However, I am afraid that because it is Will Smith, the movie will lose the essence of the book, which is basically introspective, not action-packed.

The book actually has a very contemplative tone despite the horror-thriller genre that it may fall into. I am Legend is about one man's psychological and emotional journey through the agony of loneliness, how he copes and how he eventually comes to the horrific realisation that he is the last of his kind in the world. I know most books do not translate perfectly into film but I think it will really be a horror movie in the worst sense if Will Smith's acting turns it into just another kick-kick-punch-punch show.

5 comments:

naridu said...

I actually have this one on my 'to read' list. I guess I'll have to make an extra effort to ensure I've read it before the trailers and movie promotions start to come out.

Don't despair either, Will Smith may be able to pull it off. Wait and see :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

I like Will Smith well enough but I wasn't thrilled with this casting choice either.

Anonymous said...

Wha-?

*strangled choking noise*

Not that I don't like Will Smith in some contexts and all, but this puts me in mind of the choice of Keanu Reeves as John Constantine. What were they THINKING?

(deep breaths, deep breaths)

Ok. Maybe it won't be so bad? Maybe? We can hope.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Charlton Heston version of the film? Dreadful. I am hoping that at least it is better than that one.

aichaku-愛着 said...

Stefanie, I've not seen any movie versions of the book, I trust it was really awful. *gag*

Rampant bicycle, I like Keanu Reeves cos he's cute & watched the movie but he really isn't Constantine, he changed Constantine completely and I felt bad about it, because Constantine could have translated so well into film.

Naridu, it's a short novella, so you'll be able to finish it very fast. You might find you don't want to put it down after you've started on it.